Holt, Aust-Agder, Norway Genealogy
Microfilm at the Family History Library for Holt prestegjeld (clerical district). Contains church records for Holt clerical district which includes Holt parish. Also included Tvedestrand parish until 1902 when it became its own clerical district; Tromøy, Barbu and Østre Moland (Austre Moland) parishes until 1747; Dypvåg and Flosta until 1812 when they became the new Dypvåg clerical district; and Vegårshei parish from 1812-1828 when it was moved from Gjerstad clerical district and then back again. Parish registers from 1699-1930.
Digitized parish registers available online at Digitalarkivet [Digital Archives]
- 1664-1666: Sogneprestenes manntall 1664-1666. The census for Holt prestegjeld (clerical district) includes the parishes of: Austre Moland, Flosta, Dypvåg,Arendal, Kristiansand, Holt, and Tromøy, is available on microfilm at theFamily History Library. This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. There was another census taken by the civil authorities at this same time. Both censuses should be searched as they supplement each other. This clerical census is more complete.
- 1664-1666: Fogdernes og sorenskrivernes manntall 1664-1666. The cesus forHolt prestegjeld (clerical district) includes the parishes of: Holt, Tromøy, Tvedestrand, Dypvåg, Austre Moland, Arendal, and Flosta is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census was taken by the local civil authorities. It lists the names of the farms, farmowners (including widows), sons of farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and sons of cottagers and the age of each person. The clerical authorities took a census during this same time period. Both censuses should be used as they supplement each other. The clerical census is more complete.
- 1701: Manntall 1701 : optatt av fogderi, sorenskrivere og sogneprester ifølge kongebrev av 26 juli 1701. This census for Holt prestegjeld(clerical district) includes the parishes of: Holt, Tromøy, Arendal,Austre Moland,Flosta, and Dypvåg, is available on microfilm a the Family History Library. The census of 1701 was taken for military purposes. It lists only the males living in rural districts who were over the age of one year. It includes the farm name, name and age of the owner, names and ages of sons and servants. Also includes the residence of all unmarried males living away from home when the census was taken.
- 1865: Folketælling 31 December 1865. The 1865 census for Holt Prestegjeld (clerical district) include the parishes of Holt and Tvedestrand and is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census contains the name of the farm, persons name, age, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book. Also available in a searchable database at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives) of Norway as well as at the Norwegian Historical Data Centre at the Univesity of Tromsø in Norway.
- 1875: Folketælling for kongeriget Norge den 31te December 1875. Holt prestegjeld (clerical district) include the parishes of Holt and Tvedestrand, is avialble on microfilm at theFamily History Library. This 1875 census contains the name of the farm, the persons name, residence, position in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1900: Folketælling for Norge, 3 Dec 1900. The census for Holt prestegjeld (clerical district) include the parishes of Holt and Tvedestrand, is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census contains the name of the farm, persons name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, when born, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information. Also available in a searchable database at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives) or Norway as well as at the Norwegian Historical Data Centre at the University of Tromsø in Norway.
- 1910: Folketellingen for Norge den 1te desember 1910. The census for 1910 for Holt is available in a searchable database online at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives) of Norway.
The farm number and name of the farms listed in Oluf Rygh Farm Names Index in about 1900 were as follows:
40 Aardalen 12 Aasvik 55 Angelstad 47 Ausel 35 Baaseland 3 Bakke 58 Berge 58 Bergsmyren 69 Birkenes 11 Bjelland 12 Bjørndalen 73 Bordalen 4 Bronsbu 8 Buene 59 Bukkebladkjærret 30 Bækkeviken 50 Dalen 25 Dalene 21 Dalstykket 64 Dokkenes 2 Dukene 3 Eikehaugen 32 Fiane 57 Fostveit 23 Gaaskjenn 14 Garta nedre 16 Garta øvre 15 Gartarydningen 32 Glastad 29 Gliddi 40 Glydalen 25 Godderstad vestre 58 Gordalshagen 52 Grænsen 58 Hagene 67 Hagene 24 Hagestad 56 Haglien 6 Hanto 9 Harbones 40 Hegland 14 Helleren 62 Hesnes 66 Hofsdal 58 Hofsnes 21 Jorkjenn 12 Jorundstad 11 Kjendalen 12 Kjenes 17 Kjenes 61 Kjærret 9 Knutsvik 42 Kroken 22 Kvaastad 7 Kvaastadlien 12 Kverndalen 71 Kvitberg 65 Laget 19 Langang 6 Langesand 27 Langetveit 51 Lien vestre 68 Lien østre 38 Liene 30 Lilleholt 25 Lilleskog 41 Lindeland 53 Lunde 13 Løvøen 48 Midbø 28 Myklebustad 47 Myren 44 Nes nedre 72 Nes østre 56 Noddeland 63 Nævestad 11 Oksekjærret 33 Præstegaarden 1 Raakenes 17 Raana 60 Ramlet 59 Ramsdalen 17 Refsnes 70 Romundstad 46 Rosseland 38 Rossestøl 27 Rydningen 72 Rydningen 12 Røttersvik 8 Sagaasen 12 Sanden 12 Sandnes 54 Sandvad 12 Sjøverstø 34 Skaaland 50 Skjerkerydningen 50 Skjerkholt 10 Skottevik 37 Skrattereid 5 Skuggevik 43 Sletten 32 Solberg vestre 73 Songe 2 Stamnes 72 Stea 28 Steane 60 Steane 32 Stornes 17 Strengereid 61 Strømmen 65 Strømsland 67 Støle 6 Sunde 53 Sundsdalen 13 Svansvik 61 Svartkjær 49 Sætane 2 Tangen 2 Tangen ytre 20 Torp 59 Tveite 8 Tøa 16 Ulsryggen 39 Vaaland 61 Valle 47 Vassenden 19 Vasstø 18 Vivesøl 11 Vivesølmyren 12 Vrangesund 12 Ødegaarden 61 Ødegaarden 36 Øines 49 Østebø 2 Østeraa 60 Østeraadalen
The farm names as found in Holt En Bygdebok (1940) & (1951) are as follows:
Angelstad, Ausel, Bakke, Bakkeli, Berge, Bergehagene, Birkenes, Bjelland, Bjørkenes vestre, Bjørnstad, Blivollen, Bronsbu, Buene, Bunes, Båsland, Dalane, Dokkenes, Eikeland, Fiane, Fjerklev, Fosstveit, Fosstveit nedre, gangdalen, Garta, Gladstad, Gliddi, Glydalen, Goderstad, Goderstad østre, Goderstad vestre, Greina, Grændsen, Grændstøl, Gåskjenn, Hagelia, Hagen, Hagestad, Haneto, Hegland, Hesnes, Hestehagen, Hofsdal, Holmen, Holtsmyra, Hvideberg, Joranstad, Jordkjenn, Jorstad, Kjendalen, Klepshaug, Knutsvik, Kroken, Kvastad, Kvastadlia, Kverendalen, Kvernvollen, Kviteberg, Laget, Langang, Langtveit, Lia vestre, Liane, Lilleholt, Lindland, Lunde, Løvøya, Midtbø, Myklebustad, Nedre Solberg, Nes, Nes Nedre, Nes Verk, Nes østre, Nes øvre, Nevestad, Noddeland, Nygård, Nyplass, Nævestad, Ramlet, Romundstad, Rosland, Rosstøl, Rønningen, Råkenes, Sandvad, Sjøverstø, Skjerkholt, Skottevik, Skrattereid, Skuggevik, Skåland, Skålandsdalen, Sletta, Slotta, Solberg, Solberg østre, Solberg vestre, Songe, Stea, Strandhagen, Strengereid, Strømmen, Strømsland, Støle, Sundsdal, Svartekjær, Sveiningen, Torp, Tveite, Ulfsryggen, Valle, Valle Vetre, Valle østre, Varden, Vasstø, Vivesøl, Vivesølmyra, Våland, Øines, Østebø, Østerå, Østerådalen, Øvernes, Øygården
Lilleholt, Halvor.Holt En Bygdebok. Kristiansand: Edgar Høgfeldt, 1951.
Svensen, Sven. Holt En Bygdebok. Stavanger: Dreyers Grafiske Anstalt, 1940. (Re-printed Tvedestrand, 1978)