Homersfield, Suffolk Genealogy
HOMERSFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Harleston. 
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at LDS Family History Centres. Refer to and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalogue for available records.
Homersfield was in Wangford district. To search an index of Wangford district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article provides more details about these records. Civil Registration began in 1837.
Additional information on church records is found at Genuki.org.uk. According to The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers, the original parish registers are available at the Suffolk Record Office and cover 1558-1995. Some church records are available through the Family History Library and Family History Centers. A search of the FHL Catalog provides additional details.
There are census records available for Homersfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to FHL catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Homersfield on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
- Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 539-542.