Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Hopkins County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 9, 1806|
United States Kentucky Hopkins County
Kentucky county in the Western Coal Fields region.
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 References
Hopkins County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
1829--A disaster destroyed most records.
|Ashbyburg||Fiddle Bow||Manitou||Rabbit Ridge|
|Beulah||Grapevine||Mortons Gap||Saint Charles|
|Brentwood||Hamby||Mount Carmel||Sixth Vein|
|Daniel Boone||Jewel City||Oak Hill||Wesco|
|Dawson Springs||Kirkwood Springs||Olney||West Side Heights|
|Dozier Heights||Little Valley||Oriole||White Plains|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Hopkins Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Hopkins County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Hopkins County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Hopkins County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors
- [Anderson] Mills, Elizabeth Shown. "A Case Study in Family Reconstruction Within a 'Burned County,'" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1983):3-19, Vol. 30, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1986):174-187; Vol. 30, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1986):263-273; digital versions at American Ancestors ($); Historic Pathways; reprinted in Genealogy: A Publication of the Family History Section, Indiana Historical Society, No. 78 (July 1983):1-10 (available for free online at Historic Pathways). Digital version also at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 27 (1983), v. 30 (1986).
- [Ashby] Ashby, Stephen. Ashby Family, Ky. Wills and Marriages of Hopkins County, Ky. Typescript, 1949. FHL Film 858667 Item 6
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Crow] Hecathorn, Ann Austin and Catherine Dulany Austin and Mary Louise Garner. John S. Crow and Nancy W. Hutcheson of Mecklenburg County, Virginia and Hopkins County, Kentucky: A Compliation of Collected Materials Pertaining to Their Ancestors, Their Lives and Their Descendants. [Earlville, Ill.]: A.A. Hecathorn, 1992. FHL&amp;nbsp;Book 929.273 C885a
- [Hampton] Corum, Frank. "The Benefit of an Unusual Name: Charles Chester Colson Hampton," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 4, No. 1 (May/June 1995):3-11. FHL Book 975.51 D25t. [Discusses Virginia origin of the Hampton family of Hopkins County, Kentucky.]
- [Henry] Austin, Catherine Dulany and Ann Austin Hecathorn. Joseph Henry and Alvira Crow Henry of Hopkins County, Kentucky and Jefferson County, Illinois. [Earlville, Ill.]: A.A. Hecathorn, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H396ac
- [Rudd] Corum, Frank. The Rudd Family of Hopkins County, Kentucky. Hanson, Ky.: F. Corum, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 R831c
- [Southard] Dugger, Gary D. The Southard Family of Hopkins County, Kentucky. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 So87d; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Timmons] Corum, Frank. Captain George Timmons: Fact and Fiction. Madisonville, Ky.: F. Corum, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 T484c
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Hopkins County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)