Hospital (Gamlebyen), Oslo, Norway Genealogy
Microfilms at the Family History Library contain parish registers from Oslo city Hospital parish (Gamlebyen). It was its own parish 1663-1801 then united with Oslo prison (Tugthus) parish 1801-1823 and with Aker (Østre og Vestre) parish 1823-1861. Included Gamle (Old) Aker and Grønland parishes until 1861. For the years 1862-1868 see Grønland parish.
Images of the church books are available online at Digitalarkivet.
History of the parish
Oslo and Oslo Hospital was its own parish from 1663-1801. In the time period 1801-1823, it was part of Kristiania Tukthus parish, and from 1823-1861 it belonged to Aker clerical district. After 1861 it was included in Grønland parish as Oslo Annex.
In 1880 it was separated and became its own parish. The borders followed Schweigaards gate, Munkebekken and Strømsveien in the north and the city limits on the east and south. In the west it reached to the sea and Aker river.
The northeastern part of Oslo parish was taken to create Vålerenga parish. The northern border for Oslo parish followed Schweigaards gate to Harald Hardrådes plass. then in a straight line towards Loelva, then from Loelva up to the city limits.
In 1924 it was decided that Olso parish should be called Gamlebyen.
An area, which was bordered by Klostergata, Gjøvikbanelinjen to the bridge of the river at Kværner Brug and of Loeldalen to Klostergata extended, separated from Vålernga and added to Gamlebyen parish.