Houghton on the Hill, Leicestershire Genealogy
HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (E. by S.) from Leicester. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton on the Hill like this:
HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles WNW of Billesdon, and 6 E by S of Leicester r. station. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Leicester: Houghton on the Hill Bap 1651 - 2006 Marr 1651 – 1998 (Banns to1936) Bur 1651 - 2006
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 562-566. Date accessed: 23 August 2012.