How to Find Hawaii Birth Records
How to Find United States Birth Records Hawaii Births
Statewide registration of births began in 1842 in Hawaii, but most records begin in 1896, with general compliance by 1929.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1842
Before 1842, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births after 1842
Statewide registration of births began in 1842 in Hawaii, but most records begin in 1896, with general compliance by 1929. Delayed birth records also exist. If you cannot locate your ancestor in the databases below, try searching for birth information in other records.
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|Hawaii Births, 1852-1933||FamilySearch - Free; index only; incomplete|
|Can't find your ancestor online in the index?||Tips for searching online indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Record
Local government authorities and clergymen recorded some pre-1860 birth records. You will find these at the Hawaii State Archives, the Department of Health, and the Daughters of the American Revolution Library in Honolulu.
With approximate birth years and places, you can locate birth records from 1896-1919 on microfilm through the Family History Library.
Restrictions for persons born within the last 100 years:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate for those born within the last 100 years, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child or grandchild of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The aunt, uncle, or cousin of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 100 years have passed from the date of the birth.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.