Howard County, Iowa Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
There have been two Howard counties in Iowa.
1816-- The first Howard County was established . It became part of the Missouri Territory.
1851--Howard County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Floyd County prior to organization 15 September 1855. County seat: Cresco 
December 1, 1876 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Calvary Cemetery, Riceville BillionGraves
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).