Howard County, Maryland Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Howard County Courthouse
3430 Courthouse Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21043
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court and land records.
Register of Wills has probate records. 
- Named for John Edger Howard, a Colonel in the American Revolutionary War, later the 5th Governor of Maryland.
- Made a separate county in 1838 from Anne Arundel County with a part from Baltimore County, but it was not formally recognized until 13 May 1851 by the state Constitutional Convention.
- On-line headstone trandscriptions
- Findagrave.com (120 cemeteries)
- Interment.net (19 cemeteries)
- http://www.usgwtombstones.org/maryland/howard.html (21+ cemeteries)
- see also files.usgwarchives.net/md/howard/cemeteries/multiple.txt (Howard County)
- (for partial transcriptions of St. John's, Good Shepherd and Meadowridge Cemeteries)
Blackwell, Boston, Fuller & Howard Gravestones (see Pine Orchard Methodist Episcopal Cemetery)
Bushy Park Community Cemetery
Elkridge Community Christian Church
Ellicott Family Graveyard, Ellicott Mills (Now Ellicott City)
Federal Census reports available 1860-1930. For tips on accessing Howard County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Howard County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), Christ Church, Queen Caroline Parish 1712-1939 (includes parish register 1712-1937 and vestry minutes 1728-1776, 1809-1939)
- Contains the church records of:
- Elkridge: Elkridge Methodist Church
- Contains the church records of:
Church of England
See also Queen Caroline Parish
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Howard County Deed Books (1840-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Howard County, p. 151. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Howard County, Maryland Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Howard County, Maryland Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Maryland Cavalry (6 months, 1863-1864), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home Brigade Company I
- - 7th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Ashby's) (Confederate). Company B (1st) (Howard Dragoons).
- Howard County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Zimmerman, Kenneth E. Guide to Research in Howard County, Maryland. Woodstock, Md.: K. E. Zimmerman, 1997.
- Howard County Circuit Court Marriage Records 1886-1900
- Partial Listing of Howard County Marriages 1858
- Howard County Marriage Licenses 1860-1939 from the Howard County Historical Society site.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Howard County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Howard Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Howard County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Howard County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org History Library Catalog for Howard County