Hoxne, Suffolk Genealogy
"HOXNE is a large and well-built village, pleasantly situated on the south side of the river Waveney, near its confluence with the small river Dove, 3 miles N.E. of Eye, 5 miles E.S.E. of Diss, and 6 miles S.W. of Harleston. Its parish has been added to the Parliamentary borough of Eye, and comprises 4257A. 2r. 11 p. of fertile land, and encreased its population from 972 souls, in 1801, to 1333, in 1841. It has a large old corn mill on the Waveney, which has recently been converted into a flaxmill and linen manufactory, also has another large mill at Syleham, about a mile and a half below. It has a fair for chapmen on December 1st, and had formerly a cattle fair on the same day, but it was removed to Harleston, in Norfolk, in 1780. It gives name to Hoxne Hundred and Union, but the workhouse for the latter is at Stradbroke…."
Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.
The Parish Registers begin in 1572. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1572 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Hoxne. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- William White, 1844 Gazetteer of Suffolk; pages 458 to 461