Hoxne Hundred, Suffolk Genealogy
Is in the Eastern Division of Suffolk, in the Deanery of Hoxne, Archdeaconry of Suffolk, and Diocese of Norwich. It has two detached parishes (Carlton and Kelsale) in Blything Union, and its other 24 parishes form the Hoxne Union, and constitute a fertile district, averaging about nine miles in length and breadth ; bounded, on the north, by the river Waveney, which separates it from Norfolk ; on the east, by Wangford and Blything Hundreds; on the south, by Plomegate, Loes, and Thredling Hundreds ; and on the west, by Hartismere Hundred. It is watered by several rivulets, flowing northward to the Waveney; and on its southern side are the sources of the river Alde, (see page 155,)and near Laxfield the chief source of the Blythe. (See p.371.) It has generally a strong loamy soil, well cultivated, and rising in picturesqne undulations, but subsiding in a champaign tract, in the vale of the Waveney. It has only one small market town, (Stradbroke,) but those of Framlingham, Saxmuudham, Eye, and Harleston, are near its borders ; and it has within its limits several large villages....William White, 1844, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk; page 449
The deanery of Hoxne comprises all the parishes of the Hundred except Kelsale and Carlton. Also Kenton which is in Loes Hundred is in Hoxne deanery. The Suffolk Family History Society has published a CD containing the baptisms for every parish in Hoxne Deanery covering the time period of 1813 to 1900.
Hoxne district took the boundaries of Hoxne Hundred; except for Kelsale and Carlton parishes which were put in Blything District. To search an index of Hoxne district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
People, poverty and protest in Hoxne hundred, 1700-1880; by Coleman, Nora E.; 1982 942.64 H2col also on film 1696464 Item 3
Hoxne Hundred was in the Archdeaconry of Suffolk prior to 1858; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.