Hulme St George, Lancashire Genealogy
Hulme St George was built in the year 1828 and was one of what was to become, eight chapelries serving Hulme Township and all which stood within the parish boundaries of Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire.
"Hulme is a township with eight parochial chapelries in Manchester parish: "HULME, a chapelry, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; containing 50,886 inhabitants. It is separated from the city of Manchester by the river Medlock; the Irwell flows on the west, and the Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through. The area comprises 440 acres of land. There are several cotton-mills, employing a large number of hands; and here are situated a depôt in connexion with the Manchester gas-works; and the Cavalry Barracks, built prior to the year 1804, and which will accommodate 500 men. An act was passed in 1834 for the regulation and improvement of the township. It is within the parliamentary and corporate borough of Manchester, and is divided into two wards. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £300; the patronage and appropriation belong to the Dean and Canons of the Cathedral of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to St. George, a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a tower 135 feet high, was built in 1828, at an expense, including furnishing &c., of £15,000, provided by grant from the Church Commissioners. The interior is elegantly arranged, and has a grand and imposing effect; the roof is elaborately groined, and enriched with bosses and flowers, and the altar highly decorated, having above it three stainedglass windows, recently inserted at an expense of £280. Hulme also contains a church called the Holy Trinity; and in 1846, a district named St. Mark's was formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and other denominations of dissenters; and numerous daily, Sunday, and infant schools. Among the public institutions are, the workhouse for the Chorlton union; and an asylum for female penitents, for which the present edifice was built in 1837. Sculptured stones of early date have been discovered in the chapelry."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by (1848), pp. 574-580. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51052 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Hulme St George was the garrison church for the nearby barracks. It became redunandant and later derelict before being converted to residential accommodation as part of the local regeneration of the inner city.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.