Hungary Names Personal
From FamilySearch Wiki
- surname (or a family name) is used first, followed by the first or given name
NAGY János John Nagy
KOVÁCS Mária Mary Smith
This rule is also followed in Hungarian parish registers.
- there is usually just one given name
- surnames are generally a single names
- patronymics were usually not used
- surnames were usually derived from common sources such as trades, qualities, ethnic origins, place names etc.
|SZABÓ Ferenc||Frank Taylor|
|MOLNÁR Lajos||Louis Miller|
|KIS Mihály||Michael Little|
|FEHÉR Erzsébet||Elizabeth White|
|TÖRÖK Katalin||Catherine Turk|
- titles of nobility are put before the surnames
gróf NAGY János Count John Nagy
- the equivalent of Mrs. is the particle né (wife) which is added to a husband=s name.
NAGY Jánosné Mrs. John Nagy
- Names of Hungarian married women take on special forms.
- Klausenberger Ignáczné Bival Rosália means that Rosália Bival married a man named Ignácz Klausenberger.
- The -né means wife of.