Back to Hungary Page►
Hungary Funeral Notices 1840-1990 are now available online through the FamilySearch.org.
- used to notify family and friends of a death and served also as an invitation to attend funeral sermon
- somewhat vary in the information provided
- represent only a fraction of Hungarians who died during the inclusive years, there are approximately 459,000 people represented in these cards
- the earliest notice is from the year 1803 and the latest notices are just a few years old
- not just from the area of Budapest, but all parts of the historical Kingdom of Hungary are fairly represented, including Slovakia, Croatia and Romania
- while some are in Hungarian, many are in German, Croatian, Romanian, Slovak, with some French and Italian
- sometimes written in 2 languages, and there are also some, that are printed both in the Roman and in the Cyrilic alphabet
To see a sample funeral notice click here.
To read more about this collection click here
A wiki article describing this collection is found at: