Hutton Cranswick, Yorkshire Genealogy
HUTTON-CRANSWICK (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Driffield, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; consisting of the townships of Hutton-Cranswick, Rotsea, and Sunderlandwick; and containing 1228 inhabitants, of whom 1154 are in the township of Hutton-Cranswick, 3½ miles (S.) from Driffield. This place is thought to have been more considerable than it is at present, and there are four or five mansions the moats around which still remain; the neighbourhood was the arena of fierce engagements between the Saxons and Danes, and traces of a fortified camp exist at Hutton. The parish comprises by computation 6230 acres, of which 4710 are in the township. It is bounded on the east by the navigable river Hull, on which are extensive flour-mills, and by which the produce is shipped to the Humber; the surface is boldly undulated, and the higher grounds command views over the Wolds and of Holderness. The villages of Hutton and Cranswick are within half a mile of each other, the former on an eminence, and the latter in a vale, and are neatly built and well inhabited. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 8. 6½.; net income, £130, with a house; patron, Lord Hotham. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1769. The church, supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry III., is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower, and contains an ancient Norman font ornamented with sculpture. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
From: Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 594-598. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51057 Date accessed: 04 August 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1652.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464219.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.