Newspapers provide valuable genealogical information, including obituaries, marriage announcements, biographical sketches, divorce notices, and so forth. Other personal information may be included in various sections of a newspaper. There are many English and foreign-language newspapers from the early days of Ohio. Although these publications were often related to political or religious causes, they contain valuable genealogical information.
Idaho newspapers were first published in the 1860s.
Locating Idaho Newspapers
- Many currently published newspapers as well as some issues of older newspapers are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Copies of newspaper collections or newspapers clippings may also be found at public and university libraries or historical societies locally. Idaho State University in Pocatello also has a good collection of newspapers for Idaho.
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- Copies of some Idaho newspapers, especially for Ada, Bannock, Bonneville, Canyon, and Caribou Counties are available online at Ancestry.com ($), a subscription web site. They are listed on the county and town Wiki pages.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Idaho newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Idaho Online Historic Newspapers - identifies historical newspapers available online at both free and pay-to-access websites.
- Genealogybank ($) has a collection of digitzied Idaho newspapers online.
- The Eastern Idaho Death Index at BYU Idaho is an index to obituaries for Southeastern Idaho. It is available online.
- An index to obituaries, 1977 to present, published in the Idaho Statesman, a newspaper published in Boise, has been compiled by the Boise Public Library and is also available online.
- An obituary index to Salt Lake City newspapers, 1867 to 1970, includes some Idaho residents At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL book 821636-99). The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has not collected copies of newspapers from Idaho.
- Current Idaho newspapers online
Newspapers at theIdaho State Archives