Independence County, Arkansas Genealogy
|Independence County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 23, 1820|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County seat: Batesville 
See an interactive map of Independence County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Batesville, Newark, Sulphur Rock, Southside, Magness, Pleasant Plains, Desha, Locust Grove, Bethesda, Cushman, Hickory Valley, Rosie, Oil Trough
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Independence County on page 91.]
- Men from this county enlisted in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union)1, 4th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry.2, 7th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry3, 38th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)4 and the Forty-fifth Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate)5 .
1. Allen, Desmond Walls. Third Arkansas Union Cavalry (Desmond Walls Allen: Conway, Arkansas) 1987, pp. 33-92.
2. Allen, Desmond Walls. 4th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Desmond Walls Allen: Conway AR, 1988) p. 1.
3. Allen, Desmond Walls. The Seventh Arkansas Confederate Infantry (Desmond Walls Allen, Conway, Arkansas, 1988.
4. Allen, Desmond Walls. Thirty-eighth Arkansas Confederate Cavalry (Desmond Walls Allen: Conway AR, 1988) p. 1.
5. Allen, Desmond Walls. Forty-fifth Arkansas Confederate Cavalry (Desmond Walls Allen: Conway AR, 1988) p. 1.
Newspapers - Batesville Guard
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Independence County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).