India, Madras and Tamil Nadu Parish Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Title in the Languages of the Record
- 2 Record Description
- 3 Record Content
- 4 How to Use the Record
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Citing Family Search Historical Collections
- 9 Citation for This Collection
Title in the Languages of the Record
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding a translation of the title in the language of the records.
- Please add the title in Tamil here.
- Please add the title in Latin here.
This collection includes baptism, marriage, family register, and burial records from both the Church of England and Roman Catholic Churches. The records in this collection span from 1681-1990 and are written in English, Latin, and Tamil.
Key genealogical information found in baptismal records may include:
- Child's Christian Name
- Day, Month, and Year of Birth
- Day, Month, and Year of Baptism
- Child’s Sex
- Parents’ Names
- Residence of Parents
- Trade or Profession of Father
- Name of Priest or Minister by whom the Ceremony was performed
Key genealogical information found in marriage records may include:
- When Married
- Full Names of Bride and Groom
- Age of the couple
- Rank or Profession
- Residence at the time of Marriage
- Father's Name and Surname
- Whether Marriage was by Banns or License
- Signatures of the Parties
- Signatures of two or more Witnesses present
- Name and designation of person by whom the Ceremony was Performed
- Name and Location of Church where the Marriage was Solemnized
Key genealogical information found in burial records may include:
- Full Name of the Deceased
- Age of the Deceased
- Day, Month, and Year of Death
- Nationality, Trade, or Profession
- Cause of death
- Day, Month, and Year of Burial
- Person by whom the Deceased was Buried
- Place of Burial
How to Use the Record
Before using this collection, it is important to know the name of the person you are searching for and an approximate date of their baptism, marriage, or burial.
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding content.
Related Wiki Articles
- India Church Records
- Church of England Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras 1698 to 1948
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing Family Search Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for Records Found in FamilySearch Historical Collections
The following are examples of records found in different collections. Please help us by replacing these examples with a citation for a record you have found in this collection.
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” database and digital images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: 4 March 2011), William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, 1890; from Delaware, State Marriage Records 23 November 1913, no. 859, Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover; FHL microfilm 2,025,063.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” database and digital images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: 21 March 2011), Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, 1880; from La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal, San Salvador.
When the citation has been replaced with a citation specific to the collection being described, please change the heading to "Example of a Source Citation for a Record Found in This Collection".
Citation for This Collection
The following citations refer to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. They may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
India, Madras. Church of England. Parish Registers. St Mary’s Church, Fort St. George, Madras.
India, Tamil Nadu. Roman Catholic Church. Parish Registers. Sacred Heart of Mary, Sathipattu, South Arcot.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.