Indians of Arkansas
Arkansas tribes were removed to Oklahoma early in the 1830s.
Tribes and Bands of Arkansas
The following list of tribes is compiled from:
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico.Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology. Bulletin #30 1907. (Family History Library film 1320577 item1.)
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America.Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145.
Caddo, Cahinnio, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Illinois, Kaskinampo, Michigamea, Mosopelea, Ofo, Osage, Quapaw, Seneca, Seminole, Shawnee, Tunica, Tunica-Karoa, Yazoo
The Caddo Indians were farmers, ceded land and removed to Texas then removed to Indian Territory-Oklahoma
- As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, there are no current federally-recognized reservations in Arkansas.
- Arkansas Agency, 1807-1834
Family History Library
For a complete list of available records use the Family History Library Catalog search..by Tribe, and Location
- Chickamauga Cherokee Tribal Enrollment. (6 Family History Library films starting with 1597951
- Southern Superintendency of Indian Affairs 1832-1970. (22 films Family History Library films beginning with 1602871.)
- Arkansas Superintendency 1824-1834. The Family History Library has no records at this time
Arkansas-History for a calendar of events