Indians of Massachusetts
The name Massachusetts originates from an Indian word meaning "at or about the great hill"
Tribes and Bands of Massachusetts
The following list of tribes and bands of American Indians who have lived in Massachusetts has been compiled from Hodge's Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico... and Swanton's Indian Tribes of North America.
Mahican, Mashpee, Massachuset, Nauset, Nipmuc, Penobscot,Pennacook, Pocomtuc, Wampanoag
Reservations were established as westward expansion and settlement occured. Tribes ceded land and were removed to restricted and reserved land.
The following reservation names have been compiled from the National Atlas of the United States of America, the Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America, and American Indian Reservations and Trust Areas.
- Gay Head Reservation
- Hassenamisco Reservation
- Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe
- Wampanoag Reservation
Family History Library
Massachusetts-History for a calendar of events
Massachusetts_Military for a list of forts
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online..
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Isaacs, Katherine M., Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991. [[/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&amp;amp;isbn=1558883363|ISBN 1-55888-336-3]] LOC E154.045 1990
- Tiller, Veronica E. Velarde., American Indian Reservations and Trust Areas. C. 1996, Tiller Research Incorporated. Family History Library book 970.1 T463a No ISBN, or LOC #
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.