Indians of Mississippi
The word Mississippi comes from and Indian word meaning "Father of waters"
Tribes and Bands of Mississippi
Acolapissa, Biloxi, Capinans, Chakchiuma, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Choula, Grigra, Houma, Ibitoupa, Koasati, Koroa, Mississippi Band Choctaw, Mactobi, Natchez, Ofo or Ofogoula, Okelousa, Pascagoula, Pensacola, Quapaw, Taposa, Tiou, Tunica, Yazoo
Mississippi Band of Choctaw
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonolgy, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indians Tribes of North America ( http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145.
- Choctaw Reservation:
- Mississippi Choctaw: State, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe: Choctaw
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
Agency of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Choctaw Agency, 421 Powell, Philadelphia, MS 39350
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1180: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
Family History Library
- Superintendent of Indian Trade Choctaw Trading House records 1803-1924 T 500 Family History Library 1st film of 6: 1025085
Redskins Ruffleshirts and Rednecks-Indian Allotments in Alabama and Mississippi 1830-1860. by Mary Elizabeth Young. University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma. C. 1961 Library of Congress Number: 61-15150
This book has maps: Location of Choctaw Contingent Clams, Public Land Sales in the Choctaw Cession, 1833-46, Soil Regions of Mississippi, Location of Chickasaw Allotments, Original Counties of the Chickasaw Cession, Land Offering Mississippi, Counties and Soil Regions, Indian Land Cessions
Mississippi - History for a calendar including dates of importance to American Indians
Mississippi - Military for a list of forts