Indians of Mississippi
The word Mississippi comes from and Indian word meaning "Father of Waters"
Tribes and Bands of Mississippi
Acolapissa, Biloxi, Capinans, Chakchiuma, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Choula, Grigra, Houma, Ibitoupa, Koasati, Koroa, Mississippi Band Choctaw, Mactobi, Natchez, Ofo or Ofogoula, Okelousa, Pascagoula, Pensacola, Quapaw, Taposa, Tiou, Tunica, Yazoo
Mississippi Band of Choctaw
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonolgy, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indians Tribes of North America ( http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145.
- Choctaw Reservation:
- Mississippi Choctaw: State, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe: Choctaw
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1180: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
Family History Library
- Superintendent of Indian Trade Choctaw Trading House records 1803-1924 T 500 Family History Library 1st film of 6: 1025085
Redskins Ruffleshirts and Rednecks-Indian Allotments in Alabama and Mississippi 1830-1860. by Mary Elizabeth Young. University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma. C. 1961 Library of Congress Number: 61-15150 Family History Library book 970.1 Y86r
This book has maps: Location of Choctaw Contingent Clams, Public Land Sales in the Choctaw Cession, 1833-46, Soil Regions of Mississippi, Location of Chickasaw Allotments, Original Counties of the Chickasaw Cession, Land Offering Mississippi, Counties and Soil Regions, Indian Land Cessions
Mississippi - History for a calendar including dates of importance to American Indians
Mississippi - Military for a list of forts
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.