Indians of Mississippi
The word Mississippi comes from and Indian word meaning "Father of waters"
Tribes and Bands of Mississippi
Acolapissa, Biloxi, Capinans, Chakchiuma, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Choula, Grigra, Houma, Ibitoupa, Koasati, Koroa, Mississippi Band Choctaw, Mactobi, Natchez, Ofo or Ofogoula, Okelousa, Pascagoula, Pensacola, Quapaw, Taposa, Tiou, Tunica, Yazoo
Mississippi Band of Choctaw
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonolgy, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indians Tribes of North America ( http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of AMerican Ethnology Bulletin #145.
- Choctaw Reservation:
- Mississippi Choctaw: State, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe: Choctaw
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- Choctaw Agency, 421 Powell, Philadelphia, MS 39350
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1180: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
Family History Library
- Superintendent of Indian Trade Choctaw Trading House reocrds 1803-1924 T 500 1st film of 6: 1025085
Mississippi - History for a calendar including dates of importance to American Indians
Mississippi - Military for a list of forts