Indians of Wyoming
Wyoming is a Delaware Indian word meaning 'mountains and valley alternating".
Tribes and Bands of Wyoming
Arapaho, Bannock, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crows, Cree, Dakota, Gros Venutreno or Chumashan, Gosiute, Kiowa, Kiowa-Apache, Menominee, Numa, Paiute, Pawnee, Shoshoni, Sioux, Ute (Southern)
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.;Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907. (Family History Library film 1320577 Item 1.)
- Swanton, John R. The Indian tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology Bulletin #145.(http://www.accessgenealogy.com)
As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, the following reservation name in bold is the only current federally-recognized reservation:
Wind River Reservation -- located in west-central Wyoming; Tribes: Shoshoni and Arapaho
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E. Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991. (Family History Library book 973 E5o.)
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
Agencies were created as an administrative division of the federal government to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value were created by these offices.
- Red Cloud Agency -- was an agency for the Oglala Sioux in what was then Wyoming Territory. It was located about 1 mile west of what is now Henry, Nebraska, and was never in what became the state of Wyoming.
- Wind River Agency, Ft. Washakie, WY, 82514
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974. (Family History Library book 970.1 H551o.)
Wyoming_History for a calendar of events
Wyoming_Military Records for a list of forts
Family History Library
The Family History Library has copies of the Wind River Agency files of Wyoming for the years 1881 to 1953. These are detailed records kept by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The original records are at the National Archives—Rocky Mountain Region (Denver) at http://www.archives.gov/rocky-mountain/. Other American Indian records are listed in the subject section of the Family History Library Catalog under the names of the tribes, such as SHOSHONI INDIANS.
- Wyoming Superintendency 13 films Family History Library 1st film 1549631