Iowa Superintendency of Indian Affairs
The Iowa Superintendency of Indian Affairs was established in 1838. After the Superintendency was abolished in 1846 and responsibility for most of the agencies was transferred to the St. Louis Superintendency.
Govenors and Ex officio Superintendents
Robert Lucas July 7, 1838, John Chambers March 25, 1841,and James Clarke November 8, 1845 
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Iowa Superintendency, 1838-1849, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll number 1661093.
Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Press, .
Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington [District of Columbia]: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1981.
Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington, DC:
- The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o