Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: Some marriage indexes have marriage dates occurring in 1845 which I believe took place in 1849. What date is correct?
Answer #1: Some 1849 Marriage Index records lying alphabetically between James McCune (Banbridge District) and Margaret McDonald (Thurles District) were incorrectly indexed as 1845. Accordingly, records dated 1845 that fall alphabetically between these two points may be either 1845 or 1849 marriages. The year for a record in this alphabetical range can be verified by checking the FamilySearch microfilm of the original indexes:
• Index of Marriages 1845-1847: Film 101241
• Index of Marriages 1848-1850: Film 101242
For instructions on how to order a film or locate a FamilySearch Center, view a Wiki article entitled “Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche”
Question #2: Some marriage indexes show marriages occurring in 1836 but the collection begins in 1845. Are the 1836 dates correct?
Answer #2: Indexed marriage entries dated 1836 are actually for marriages registered in 1886. The year for such records can be confirmed by ordering copies from the General Register Office of the Republic of Ireland. See Ireland Civil Registration, "Locating the Actual Registration Certificates."
Also see related Document 111702 "Steps for Searching the Ireland Civil Registration in Historical Records."
Question #3: Is there a list of indexes with known recording errors?
Answer #3: They following as a list of known errors in the indexed information
• Indexes from Digital Folder Number 4187289, image 294 are for 1873 not 1878.
• Indexes from Digital Folder Number 4200672, image 343 are from 1st Quarter, 1881.
• Indexes from Digital Folder Number 4179389, image 282, are mistakenly identified as from Oct-Dec 1897. They are from Oct-Dec 1894.
• Indexes from Digital Folder Number 4201709, image 485 are from 1st Quarter, 1913
Question #4: Where can I see the marriage indexes for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of 1897?
Answer #4: The marriage indexes for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of 1897 were either missed in filming or were not available.
Question #5: There are several index records that have a non-Irish location in the Registration District field. i.e. Karachi, Gibraltar, Rawal Pindi, etc. Are these correct?
Answer #5: Events for Irish Subjects that took place outside of Ireland have been indexed showing the place of the event in the Registration District field. In these cases, the Registration District is incorrect.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
• If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
• If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 collection at FamilySearch.org.