Italy Compiled Genealogies
The term genealogy is used in this outline and in the Family History Library Catalog to describe a variety of records containing family information gathered by individuals, researchers, societies, or archives. These records may include pedigree charts, compiled information on families, correspondence, ancestor lists, research exchange files, record abstracts, and collections of original or copied documents. These records are excellent sources of information that can save you valuable time. Because they are compiled from other sources of information, they must be carefully evaluated for accuracy.
Additional sources of genealogy for noble families in Italy are described in the "Nobility" section of this outline.
Major Collections and Databases
The Family History Library has several sources that contain previous research or that can lead you to others who are interested in sharing family information. These sources include:
- International Genealogical Index.The index provides names and vital information for thousands of deceased persons who lived in Italy, mostly before 1900. This valuable research tool lists birth, christening, or marriage dates. The index for Italy includes names extracted from a few parish registers and civil registration by volunteers and names submitted by other researchers.
- The International Genealogical Index is available on microfiche and on compact disc as part of FamilySearch™. If you are using the microfiche, you need to know which province to search. If you are using the compact disc edition, however, the computer will search the entire country for any name.
- Ancestral File. This file, which is part of FamilySearch™, contains family history information linked in family groups and pedigrees that has been contributed since 1979. As of 1992, the file contains the names of millions of persons, including thousands of Italian families. Ancestral File can print pedigree charts, family group records, and individual summary sheets for any person in the file.
- Family Group Records Collection. More than eight million family group record forms have been microfilmed in the Family Group Records Collection. This includes many Italian families. There are two major sections: the Archive Section and the Patrons Section. The film numbers for both sections are listed in the Author/Title Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
FAMILY GROUP RECORDS COLLECTION
- Social Security Death Index. The Social Security Death Index lists all the people in the United States who held social security numbers and who died between 1962 and 1988.
A few Italian families have produced histories or newsletters that may include genealogical information, biographies, photographs, and other excellent information. These histories and newsletters usually include several generations of the family.
The Family History Library has a few published Italian family histories and newsletters. You can find them in the catalog by using the Surname Search. Not every name found in a family history is listed in the Family History Library Catalog because it only includes the major surnames discussed in the family history.
Some individuals in Italy have unpublished family histories. These histories pertain mostly to descendants of Italian nobility. Some individuals have collected a variety of unpublished records pertaining to their own families. These materials are generally not accessible for research unless you can establish contact with the appropriate individuals.
A new series of this work contains biographies:
The Family History Library has a few collections of genealogical material for Italian families. These may include published and unpublished collections of family histories and lineage. Some of the major genealogical collections are:
- Archivio genealogico (Genealogical studies). Firenze, Italy: Società Italiana di Studi Araldici e Genealogici, 1961–. (FHL book EUROPE 945 B2as; films 908856, item 2 and 97317, item 2.)
- Bolletino della Società di studi Valdese (Bulletin of the Society of Waldensian studies). Torre Pellice, Italia]: Società` di Studi Valdesi,1935–. (FHL book EUROPE 945 F25b.)
Genealogical collections are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under:
- ITALY- GENEALOGY
- ITALY, [PROVINCE]- GENEALOGY
- ITALY, [PROVINCE], [TOWN]- GENEALOGY
If you find your surname in any of the sources described in this section, determine whether the entry actually pertains to your family. All persons with the same surname are not necessarily related. Often, you will have to do some original research before you can connect your ancestry to families listed in these sources.