James United Presbyterian Church--Dundee Angus Parish -282
This was also known formerly as Relief Presbyterian. Here you will see a history given of the church, notes and sources where the information came from and can be obtained, as well as what records are available for this parish.
On 5 February 1837, the Second Relief Congregation was opened under Dysart Relief Church Presbytery. The congregation had begun as an offshoot of the Dudhope Crescent Road Church. The first minister was inaugurated in 1838. The members met in various temporarily quarters until they leased the Old English Chapel in Nethergate from June 1840. This building was offered for sale in 1844 so the congregation decided to erect their own place of worship. The new church at the corner of Bell Street and Euclid Crescent was opened on 27 April 1845 and became known as James' church. In 1904 it was sold and a new church built on Arklay Street was opened on 13 June 1906. James' United Presbyterian Church became James' United Free in 1900, Clepington United Free in 1906, St James' in 1929 and was dissolved on 30 September 1988 after failure to agree on a union with Clepington church.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details may be given in the source.
- Minutes 1838–1988
- Other post–1855 records
Note: Available at the Dundee City Archive and Record Centre, Dundee, Scotland, record CH3/1384.