Jasper County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Jasper County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Adopted by Jasper County, TXGenWeb
Billy & Carla Karbowski Clifton
Jane Sanford Keppler
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Jasper County Courthouse
PO Box 2070
Jasper, TX 75951
County Clerk has marriage, probate and land records from 1849,
birth records from 1874, death records from 1903, court records
from 1911 and cemetery records; Distric Clerk has divorce records
HistoryWilliam Jasper (c1750-1779).
1836--Jasper County was created 17 March 1836 from Old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Jasper 
1849--Courthouse and all county records were destroyed by fire in October 1849.
Places / Localities
- Jasper County Cemeteries - from the TXGenWeb site.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Jasper County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jasper County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Jasper County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jasper County, Texas. Page 667 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "William Jasper," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).