Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Jefferson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||May 1, 1780|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 References
The county was named after Declaration of Independence Author Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) who became President in 1797.
1780--Jefferson County was created 1 May 1780 from Kentucky County (Virginia). This county was abolished in 1780. County seat: Louisville 
|Anchorage||Glenview Hills||Lynnville||Saint Matthews|
|Audubon Park||Glenview Manor||Manor Creek||Saint Regis Park|
|Bancroft||Goose Creek||Meadowbrook Vale||Seneca Gardens|
|Beechwood Village||Green Spring||Medora||Spring Mill|
|Bellemeade||Harrods Creek||Middletown||Spring Valley|
|Bellewood||Heritage Creek||Mockingbird Valley||Strathmoor Manor|
|Blue Ridge Manor||Hickory Hill||Murray Hill||Strathmoor Village|
|Broeck Pointe||Hills and Dales||Northfield||Ten Broeck|
|Brownsboro Farm||Hollow Creek||Norwood||Thornhill|
|Brownsboro Village||Hollyvilla||Okolona||Valley Station|
|Cambridge||Houston Acres||Old Brownsboro Place||Watterson Park|
|Coldstream||Hurstbourne||Parkway Village||Waverly Hills (memorial)|
|Crossgate||Indian HIlls||Pleasure Ridge Park||West Buechel|
|Douglass Hills||Jeffersontown||Poplar Hills||Westwood|
|Fairdale||Langdon Place||Richlawn||Windy Hills|
|Forest Hills||Louisville||Rolling Fields||Woodlawn Park|
- Bullitt County, Kentucky
- Clark County, Indiana
- Floyd County, Indiana
- Hardin County, Kentucky
- Harrison County, Indiana
- Oldham County, Kentucky
- Shelby County, Kentucky
- Spencer County, Kentucky
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Jefferson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- The Metro Louisville-Jefferson County KyGenWeb Project Cemetery Directory has the largest cemetery listing. Jefferson County once had over 500 public cemeteries and family graveyards, but many have been lost through the ravages of time. This site identifies 235 of them.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jefferson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jefferson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jefferson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Jefferson County, KY census|
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
1793 Tax List
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Jefferson County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- [1789-1790] Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The sources of this publication are the 1789 and 1790 [?] personal property tax lists, and substitutes for 1786 through 1788. Jefferson County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["6 volumes of 1789 were used, and some duplications were found." (p. 2)]
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
- Jefferson County Metro KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named