Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Jefferson County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries:
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Jefferson County boundary changes.
- Brooke County, West Virginia
- Hancock County, West Virginia
- Ohio County, West Virginia
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
You can find many local histories within Jefferson County at www.digitalshoebox.org, which is a website from the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio (Schiappa Branch), where they have digitized many of their collection. This website includes library contributions from all of southeast Ohio.
You can also find much information on the Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society website at http://jeffcochapter.com. Many of the early records of this county have been donated to the chapter, and they are in the process of housing and cataloging these collections.
You can also find much historical and genealogical information at the Jefferson County Historical Museum located at 426 Franklin Ave., Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-1133. Hours of operation vary due to volunteer staff, so please call ahead to make arrangements for tours and library researching.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Morgan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County.
- - 98th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies A and D
The local newspaper is "The Herald-Star" located at 401 Herald Square, Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-4711. The website is www.hsconnect.com. The archive issues of this paper date to 1806, and can be accessed at the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County (Schiappa Branch - Ohio Room). They are housed on microfilm, and many issues have been indexed. Some of these indexes are digitized online, and others are available at the library.
Obituaries of the recently deceased (last 5-10 years) can also be accessed by visiting the websites of local funeral homes. A few of these are listed below:
Clarke Funeral Home, Toronto - www.clarkefuneralhome.com
Everhart-Bove Funeral Home - www.everhart-bovefuneralhomes.com
Shorac Funeral Homes - www.shorac.com
Mosti Funeral Home - www.mostifuneralhome.com
J.E. Foster Funeral Homes - www.jefosterfh.com
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries:
- Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio - Schiappa Branch Ohio Room (for genealogical research and history), 4141 Mall Drive, Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 264-6166
- Vivian Snyder Genealogical Library, Jefferson County Historical Museum, 426 Franklin Ave., Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-1133
- Jefferson County Chapter, OGS - http://jeffcochapter.com
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).