Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Brooke County, West Virginia
- Hancock County, West Virginia
- Ohio County, West Virginia
You can find many local histories within Jefferson County at http://digitalshoebox.com, which is a website from the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio (Schiappa Branch), where they have digitized many of their collection. This website includes library contributions from all of southeast Ohio.
You can also find much information on the Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society website at http://jeffcochapter.com. Many of the early records of this county have been donated to the chapter, and they are in the process of housing and cataloging these collections.
You can also find much historical and genealogical information at the Jefferson County Historical Museum located at 426 Franklin Ave., Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-1133. Hours of operation vary due to volunteer staff, so please call ahead to make arrangements for tours and library researching.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch – Pilot. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).