Jefferson County, Oregon Genealogy
Jefferson county was created from Crook County 12 Decembr 1914. Named for Mount Jefferson, located on west boundary. It was named in turn for Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States of America.
The county seat is Madras. Culver was the county seat 1914 to 1916
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Jefferson County Court House as of August 2005.
Cities: Culver | Madras | Metolius
Unincorporated Communities: Ashwood | Axehandle | Camp Sherman | Crooked River Ranch | Donnybrook | Gateway | Geneva | Grandview | Grizzly | Horseheaven | Kilts | Lamonta | Opal City | Warm Springs | Willowdale
Abbot Creek, flows into Metolius River from west. Formerly called Eagle Creek. Name change was recommended in 1930 to honor Henry Larcom Abbot, wyo as a young lieutenant in the US Army attached to the pacific Railroad Surveys, passed along its banks 28 September 1855. He died in 1927. Name also applied to Abbot Butte and Camp Abbot. See also Abbot Pass (Clackamas/Wasco).