Difference between revisions of "Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy"
("Added county history intro".)
|Line 51:||Line 51:|
==== Local Histories
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 01:46, 14 June 2013
Guide to Jefferson Davis County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Jefferson Davis County Courthouse
1025 3rd St; CO Box 1137
Prentiss, MS 39474
Clerk Chancery Court has court and land records
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and probate records. 
For tips on accessing Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Davis+county+Mississippi+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records are held by the Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1906-1920 - Jefferson Davis County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1906-1920. Batches M748382 and M748572 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1917-1929 - Jefferson Davis County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1917-1929. Batches M748380 and M748383 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi page 380, [At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.