Jones County, Iowa Genealogy
|Jones County, Iowa|
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1837--Jones County was created 21 December 1837 from Dubuque County. It was attached to Jackson County prior to organization 1 June 1839. County seat: Anamosa 
1875 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Riverside Cemetery, Anamosa BillionGraves
- Ross & Elizabeth Baty Public Library Archives, Jones County has the Monticello Express (1865-2004) available online.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Jones County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).