Kanawha County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Kanawha County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 DNA
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Naturalization
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Occupations
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Kanawha County Courthouse
409 Virginia StreetEast
Charleston, WV 25301
County Clerk has Birth, Death Records 1853
Marriage Records 1831
Probate Records 1831
Land Records 1786
History of Kanawha County (Google ebook)
See an interactive map of Kanawha County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Family bible records, 1711-1955, of residents (1956) of Kanawha Co
- Bible Records Kanawha County: 1833 - 1931
- Kanawha County Bible Records
- Find A Grave Kanawha County, West Virginia
- Kanawha County Cemetery Records West Virginia
- Kanawha County Cemetery Records WV GenWeb
- The Political Graveyard Kanawha County, West Virginia
- Kanawha County Cemeteries (List)
Kanawha County WV Obituaries
For tips on accessing Kanawha County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Kanawha County, West Virginia Census Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
DNA has been collected from men claiming descent from the following Kanawha County, (West) Virginia residents. Attempts have not been made to verify the lineages of those tested.
- [Fletcher] Descendant of William Fletcher, b. England, resident of Kanawha and Monroe Counties, Virginia. Y-DNA 12 Marker Test, FTDNA. Genetic signature available online (labelled William Fletcher of Accomac County, Virginia/James Fletcher of Brunswick County, Virginia), courtesy: The Fletcher DNA Project.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Kanawha CountyBiography Library
- West Virginia Biographies Project - Kanawha County
- [Ashley] Ross, Clara Mae. John Thomas Ashley (1838-1923), His Ancestors of Surry County, North Carolina, His Descendants of Roane County, West Virginia, and Related Families. Colfax, N.C., n.d. FHL Collection.
- [Brown] Nichols, Helen Brown. The Brown Connection to Ancient and Royal Families, Ancestry A to Z, Roots Along the Great Kanawha. 2003.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Kanawha County appears in Vol. 2 Part 3]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Kanawha County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Shields, Carolyn Ann Dean, Shields, Charles Louis, Kanawha County cousins : a history of the history of the families of Dean--Perry--Painter--Ritz :
Ambler, Charles Henry. "Poor Relief Education: Kanawha County, Virginia, 1818-1847." West Virginia History, Charleston, West Virginia, 1941-42.
Arc 1. 4:3.
Andre, Richard A. Bullets and Steel: the Fight for the Great Kanawha Valley 1861-1865. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories, 1995. 975.438 A555.
Atkinson, George Wesley. History of Kanawha County. Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Journal, 1876. Reprint West Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994. 975.437 A875.
Atkinson, Rama Casdorph, Bratt, Helen Jenkins, Haynes, Helen Young. Our Heritage: Brookside Centennial Paper, West Virginia Centennial 1863-1963. s.l., n.p., 1963. 975.437 O93 Pam.
Bailey, H. R. History of the Liberty Mountaineers . St. Albans, West Virginia, Harless Printing, 1979.
785.067 B154 Pam.
Belle West Virginia Women's Club. Historic Belle Area Bi-Centennial, 1773-1976. Charleston, West Virginia, Capitol Printing and Supply, 1976. 975.437 B438.
Broyles, Bettye J. The St. Albans Archeological Site, Kanawha County, West Virginia: Preservation or Destruction. Morgantown, West Virginia, n.p., 1974. 913.75437 B885.
Burford, Herschel W. "Steam Packets on the Kanawha River." Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia History, 1965-66. Arc 1. 4:27.
Coal River Railroad Company. Prospectus of the Coal River Railroad Company, West Virginia. Cincinnati, Ohio, Applegate, Pounsford and Company, 1872. 333.8 C652 1872 Pam.
Cohen, Stan. Kanawha County Images: A Bicentennial History, 1788-1988. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1987.
Cole, John L. On Fitzwaters. 1791-.Notes on Fitzwaters Family, Mostly Isaac Fitzwater and His Early Struggles With Indians and Exploration in the Kanawha, Fayette and Nicholas County Area.
Comstock. Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, Jim Comstock, 1973. 975.4003 H259 v.4.
Conley, Philip Mallory. Early Coal Development in the Kanawha Valley, West Virginia History, Charleston, West Virginia, 1946-47.Arc 1. 4:8.
Cook, Roy Bird. The Annals of Fort Lee. Charleston, West Virginia. West Virginia Review Press, 1935.
Damewood, Elizabeth Rhodes. Kanawha County's Great Textbook Controversy: Regional Heritage, National History and Public Education, 1974-1975. n.p., 1990. 379.156 D157.
Dayton, Ruth. Pioneers and Their Homes on Upper Kanawha. Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Publishing Company, 1947. 975.43 D276.
DeGruyter, Julius Allen. The Kanawha Spectator, Charleston, West Virginia, n.p., 1953-1976.
East Bank, Celebrating 100 Years, 1889-1989. s.l., n.p., 1989 975.437 El3.
Elk-Blue Creek Historical Society. Elk River Communities in Kanawha County, A Continuing History. Cleveland, Ohio, Typemasters, Inc., 1993. 975.437 E43.
Farley, Bob. Carbon Fuel Reunion, 1998. s.l., n.p., 1998. 975.437 C264.
FMC Corporation. Chemical Divisions. The Salt Industry in the Kanawha Valley. n.p., 197_.
Galbraith, Julia. History of the Cross Lanes Area. s.l., n.p., 1976.975.437 G148.
Gibbons, J. The Kanawha Valley, 1872 Resources, Developments and Special Business Directory of Charleston and Other Cities. Gibbons, Atkinson and Company Printers, 1872.
Hale, John Peter. History of the Great Kanawha Valley. Madison, Wisconsin, Brant, Fuller and Company, 1891. 975.43 H162 closed stacks.
_____________. History and Mystery of the Kanawha Valley. Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, 1897. 913.7543 H162.
_____________. List of Delegates to the Virginia Assembly From Kanawha County 1789-1863. Trans Allegheny Pioneers, Cincinnati, Ohio, Cincinnati Graphics, 1886. 975.402 H162.
_____________. Some Local Archaeology: a Paper Read Before the West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, January 18th, 1898. Charleston, West Virginia, Gazette Publishing Company, 1898. 913.75437 H162s Pam.
Hanson, Todd. Campbell's Creek: A Portrait of a Coal Mining Community. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1989. 975.437 H251c.
Harmon, Dale Lynn. Kanawha County, West Virginia, Bruen Property Land Purchases From 47,000 Acre Sheba Tract 1850-1908. Durham, North Carolina, Harmon, 1984.
Harris, V.B. Great Kanawha...An Historical Outline. Charleston, West Virginia, Jarrett Printing Company, 1976.
Hereford, C.D. Early History of St. Albans. St. Albans, West Virginia: b s.n.\c 1950.
Humphreys, Milton Wylie. Incidents Related Concerning Mercer Academy and Other Kanawha County Schools. n.p. n.d.
B H927 Pam.
___________. Kanawha's Black Gold and the Miners' Rebellion. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Braun- Brumfield, 1987.
Hunt, Doris J. Index of Names to the History of Kanawha County by George W. Atkinson. Charleston, West Virginia, Department of Culture and History, Archives and History Division, 1981.
Jones, James A. Diaries, James A. Ward, West Virginia, 1878-1930.
Kanawha County Court House, Account Book, Charleston, Virginia, 1843.
Kanawha County Court House, Account Book, Charleston, Virginia, 1849.
Kanawha County Election, April 1, 1835. Book for a Precinct Election Held at the House of John Jones, Kanawha County to Choose Delegate to Virginia Assembly, April, 1835.
Kanawha Valley Airport, s.l., n.p, n.d.
Kanawha Salt Company. Cincinnati, Ohio, Moore, Wilstach and Baldwin Printers, 1864.
338.47664 K16 Pam.
Kanawha Salt Company, Account Book, 1820-1842.
Laidley, William Sydney. History of Charleston and Kanawha County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens. Chicago. Illinois, Richmond Arnold Publishing Company, 1911.
Lawrentz, Jeff. Endangered Homes on the Upper Kanawha. s.l., n.p, 1986.
917.5437 L242 Pam.
Memorial of the Manufacturers of Salt in Kanawha County, Virginia...Addressed to the Senate and House of Representatives of the U.S. Kanawha County Court House, Virginia, Office of the Kanawha Banner, 1830.
338.47664 U58m Pam.
Minute Book, Directors of Kanawha Board of James River and Kanawha Company, June 14 to 1858 to July 8 1861. Gift of Alexander Laidley, 1895.
Moore, E.T. Description of a Tract of Land Embracing About 5,000 Acres on Davis Creek, Kanawha County, West Virginia. Charleston, West Virginia, E.T. Moore, Printer, 1875.
333.8 D449 Pam.
Moving Mountains to Build Kanawha Airport, Charleston, West Virginia, Kanawha County. s.l, n.p., n.d.
National Education Association of the United States. Inquiry Report, Kanawha County, West Virginia: A Textbook Study in Cultural Conflict. Washington DC, National Education Association , Teachers Rights Division, 1975. 379.156 N277.
Parker, Franklin. The Battle of the Books: Kanawha County. Bloomington, Indiana, Phi Delata Kappa Educational Foundation, 1975. 379.156 P239 Pam.
Pease, Louise McNeill. The Great Kanawha in the Old South, 1671-1861. Morgantown, West Virginia, 1959.
Proceedings, Resolutions, etc. of a Mass Meeting of the Citizens of Kanawha County, April 29 and May 13, 1865. Charleston, West Virginia, Journal Office, 1865.973.781 P963 Pam.
Quarrier, Alexander. Indictment of Alexander C. Quarrier and His Response Regarding Charges of Falsely Entering Information in Account of Joint Stock Company. @ 1871. MS 79-157.
Rice, Otis K. Charleston and the Kanawha Valley, an Illustrated History. Woodland Hills, California, Windsor Publications, Inc., 1981.975.438 R497.
Shaler, Nathaniel Southgate. Black Band Iron and Coal Company. Cambridge, Wheeler, Printer, 1881.
557.5437 S528 Pam.
Simmons, Pat. Winifrede, West Virginia, First Reunion. Winifrede, West Virginia, the Author, 1998.
Sissonville Historical Awareness Committee. Sissonville, A Time to Remember. s.l., n.p., 1988.
Slack, Greenbury. Greenbury Slack Letters, Account Books Justice of Peace, 1865-1868.
Souvenir Program, Kanawha County History and The 35th Star. Charleston, s.l., n.p., 1963.
Stealey, John Edmund. The Salt Industry of the Great Kanawha Valley of Virginia: A Study in Ante-Bellum Internal Commerce. Ann Arbor, Michigan, University Microfilms, 1977. 338.47664 S799.
Stuber, Gary Lee. Blue Creek West Virginia Coloring Book. Blue Creek, West Virginia, Larry Maynor, 1977.
975.437 S932 Pam.
Tompkins, C. Report to the Board of Directors and Stockholders of the Paint Creek Coal and Iron Mining and Manufacturing Company, Kanawha County, Virginia. Richmond, Virginia, Dispatch Steam Printing Office, 1856.
333.8 T662 Pam.
United States Congress. Memorial of the Citizens of Kanawha County, Virginia, Against the Measures of the Executive and Praying for Relief. Washington, DC, 1834.
975.43 W52 Pam.
Upper Falls of Coal, Daybook, 1851-1853. MS 80-273.
Ward Reunion Committee. History of Ward, West Virginia. Smithers, West Virginia, Rod-Jack Printers, Inc., 1984. 975.437 W256w.
_____________________.Ward News. Smithers, West Virginia, Ward Reunion Committee, 1981-1986.
_____________________. Ward Reunion Souvenir, To Honor Old Friends. Smithers, West Virginia, Rod-Jack Printers, Inc., 1984.
West Virginia Genealogical Society. Index for W.S. Laidley's History of Charleston and Kanawha County West Virginia. Elkview, West Virginia, West Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994. 975.437 L185 Index.
Wiseman, Eloise. Tornado Remembers...Upper Falls of Coal River, 1788-1988. n.p., n.d.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Kanawha County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Kanawha County men served in the 80th Regiment.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
World War II
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (Together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL Collection. [Includes a section on Charleston silversmiths.]
Kanawha County, West Virginia Will Books 1820-1967
West Virginia Will Books
-  Indexed images of the 1792 Personal Property Tax List of Kanawha County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
- Kanawha County Tithables in 1792
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax List of Kanawha County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Book 975 E4w v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Kanawha County is included in Vol. 6.]
- Kanawha County Tax List
Societies and Libraries
- Kanawha Valley Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 8555
South Charleston, WV 25303
- WV Midland Trail Genealogical Society
2614 Furlong Avenue
St Albans, WV 25177
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Inc
- West Virginia University - Genealogy Resources
- West Virginia Kanawha County Public Libraries
Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia
1608 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25311
Archives and History Library
Division of Culture and History
The Cultural Center
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0300
- Vital Registration Office; State Capitol Complex No 3, Run 516 Charleson, WV 25305 304-558-2931; Fax 304-558-1051
Family History Centers
- Kanawha County, West Virginia USGENWEB
- Family History Library Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Kanawha County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- West Virginia Biographies Project of Kanawha County, West Virginia
- Kanawha County, Bible Records
- Kanawha County Family Tree
- Kanawha County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- Bridges in Kanawha County, West Virginia
- National Register of Historic Places
- Kanawha County, West Virginia UTUBE
- Kanawha county History: West Virginia
- Charleston West Virginia Photos
- Early Settlements of Kanawha County
- Kanawha County West Virginia New River Notes
- West Virginia Genealogy
Learning How to [[|Edit our Wiki Sites]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kanawha County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 115. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.