Kea, Cornwall Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 14:17, 15 August 2010 by Henry995 (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Parish History

Kea All Hallows is in Kea village and is the parish church. It was built in 1895 to replace a church of 1802 which was the work of James Wyatt. The church has a steep tiled roof and a lead spire. The font is Norman and of the Altarnun type. This present church was consecrated 4th June 1896. The church of St Kea at Old Kea was the parish church until All Hallows was built.

St Kea reputedly landed at Old Kea on his first visit to Cornwall and established a church there, which was the parish church until replaced by All Hallows. Today, the parish is mainly agricultural, and is noted for giving its name to the damson-type Kea plum.

Later, the church at Old Kea was pulled down and only the tower remains today. A small chapel now stands beside the ruined medieval tower and services are held there twice a month.


Civil Registration

Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference P 97

The images for this parish are referred to as St Kea although the village is called Kea.

General register of baptisms, marriages & burials, 1599-1654 (severely damaged and extremely poor legibility); General register containing baptisms, 1653-1698 (1st legible date is 1655), marriages, 1653-1666, 1673-1692 -- burials, 1653-1700 (this vol. also in very poor condition); baptisms, 1701-1799 -- Journal history of the parish, 1858-1862 (includes accounts of gales, comets, earthquakes & tidal waves etc.) -- marriages, 1702-1754 -- Account of almshouses in Kea -- burials, 1701-1779 -- Terrier of 1861 -- Account of gifts.
1595810 Items 5-7
Marriages, 1756-1812; banns, 1758-1787; marriages, 1813-1837; marriages, 1837-1858; baptisms, 1800-1841 -- burials, 1800-1812; burials, 1813-1901; banns, 1868-1902.
1595810 Items 8-14

Baptisms, 1841-1902
1849638 Item 30

Banns, 1868-1946 (another filming to 1902).
2276116 Item 15

Baptisms, 1841-1983 (another filming to 1902). Burials, 1873-1987 (another filming to 1901).
2276152 Items 15 - 17

Census records

Overview, Include any unique information such as the census of X year was destroyed, Collection in FHL and link to catalog, Online sites.

Poor Law Unions

Truro Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:

  • 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
  • Vision of Britain

Web sites

Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.