Kennebec County, Maine Genealogy
Guide to Kennebec County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kennebec County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||February 20, 1799|
|Address|| County Courthouse|
95 State Street
Augusta, ME 04330-5611
Kennebec County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Register of Deeds has land records from 1799. Probate Court has probate records from 1799. Town Clerks have birth, marriage and death records.
- Four partitions:
Places / Localities
Extinct Towns and Plantation
Communities • Clinton • Farmingdale • Oakland • Winthrop
Villages • Libby Hill • South China
Maine Newspaper Archive. Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Age. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1832-1861. at GenealogyBank. $
Herald of Liberty. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1810-1815. at GenealogyBank. $
Kennebec Gazette. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1810-1815. at GenealogyBank. $
American Advocate. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1809-1835. at GenealogyBank. $
Hallowell Gazette. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1814-1827. at GenealogyBank. $
Maine Cultivator and Hallowell Gazette. Indexes Free, Digital Pages $. 1839-1870. at GenealogyBank. $
Societies and Libraries
Family history Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Augusta Maine Family History Center
- Waterville Maine Family History Center
- The Kennebec County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kennebec County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kennebec County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Kennebec County
- Oakland Area Historical Society - records, photographs, history, genealogy of the Oakland area.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 304. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Before an extinct town (or plantation) was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 101. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.