Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Kenton County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kenton County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1840|
- 1 Kenton County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Kenton County Kentucky History
- 3 Kenton County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy References
Kenton County Kentucky Courthouse
Kenton County Kentucky History
Kenton County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Amsterdam (hist.)||Fairview||Latonia Lakes||Springdale|
|Bank Lick||Forest Hills||Ludlow||Staffordsburg|
|Bracht||Fort Mitchell||Maurice||Summit Hills Heights|
|Bromley||Fort Wright||Morning View||Sunny Acres|
|Cloud City (hist.)||Grant||Nicholson||Taylor Mill|
|Covington||Independence||Oak Ridge||Villa Hills|
|Crescent Park||Kenton||Park Hills||Visalia|
|Crescent Springs||Kenton Hills||Piner||West Covington|
|Crestview Hills||Kenton Vale||Ricedale||White Tower|
|DeCoursey||Lakeside Park||Ryland||White Villa|
|Edgewood||Lakeview||Ryland Heights||Winston Hills (hist.)|
Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Pictorial and Industrial Review of Northern Kentucky. Historical Souvenir, Nineteen Hundred and Twenty-three, Kenton and Campbell Counties. 1923. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Photographs and short bios of leading citizens of the county.
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kenton Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Kenton County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Kenton County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Kenton County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Floral Hills Memorial Gardens, Taylor Mill
- Highland Cemetery, Fort Mitchell
- Independence Cemetery, Independence
- Mother of God Cemetery, Fort Wright
- St. Cecilia's Cemetery, Independence
- St. Johns Cemetery, Fort Wright
- St. Marys Cemetery, Fort Mitchell
- Sisters of Notre Dame Cemetery, Park Hills
- Wilmington Baptist Church Cemetery, Covington
For tips on accessing Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Flournoy] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company M.
- - 5th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company I.
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company B.
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company E.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, K, L and M.
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company G.
- - 12th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company B.
- - 18th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company C.
- - 37th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company H.
- - 53rd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I and K.
- - 55th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A, B, C, D, F, I and K.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1856-1924 - Will Books 1 to 16 (1856-1924) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Kenton County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517561 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Kenton County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517562 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Kenton County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517561 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Kenton County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517563 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Kenton County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Kenton County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Kenton County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kenton County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.