Kentucky, United States Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:47, 15 November 2010 by Idharpers (Added a BYU Research Outline for Kentucky, United States)
- This article is about a state of the United States. For other uses, see Kentucky (disambiguation).
|Kentucky Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Welcome to Kentucky, Bluegrass State
Featured ContentKentucky was a "state-land" state, meaning the state government appropriated all land within its borders. Land was surveyed in odd-sized lots in much of the state, but west of the Tennessee River it was surveyed in townships. Several types of land grants were issued in Kentucky. Warrants authorizing surveys of the desired land were issued to persons qualified to receive grants for military service (military warrants) or cash payments (treasury warrants). Read more about the subject of land and property records in the Kentucky Land and Property article.
The following databases are available online at the Kentucky Land Office website:
- Virginia Patent Series & Old Kentucky Patent Series.
- Revolutionary War Warrants database.
- West of Tennessee River Military Patents database
- Certificates of Settlement and Preemption Warrants database.
- Virginia Treasury Warrants Register,
- Lincoln Entries database.
- County Court Order Patents database.
- Jackson Purchase database.
- West of Tennessee River Non-Military Patents Database.
Did you know?
- The most prominent early Indian tribes in Kentucky were the Cherokee, Chickasaws, and Shawnee. Most of these tribes were eliminated from Kentucky by about the early 1800s either through warfare or resettlement to other territories by the federal government. No separate records were kept for people with American Indian blood.
- Did you know you can find your infamous Kentucky ancestors at Kentucky Blacksheep Ancestors?
- Help Needed! Please add county resource links to county pages.
- Kentucky State Archives, Frankfort
- Filson Library, Louisville
- Martin F. Schmidt Research Library, Frankfort
- National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta)
- Allen County Public Library (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System or Kentucky Atlas and Gazeteer.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Kentucky GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Kentucky Online Resources offers Internet links to help with Kentucky research problems.
- Kentucky Pioneers
- BYU Research Outline for Kentucky
Help us make this a better research tool!
Things you can do.
Below list some of the many tasks you can help with: