- Atlas of Kentucky. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 1998. (Not at Family History Library.)
- Kentucky Places and People: 1895–96. Reprint of R. L. Polk and Company’s "Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory." 1895. Reprint, Utica, KY: McDowell Publications. 1984. (Family History Library book 976.9 E4k) The city and town locations are described, and business names are listed in alphabetical order.
- Rennick, Robert M. Kentucky Place Names. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 1984. (Family History Library book 976.9 E2r) The location and history of the town or county are given.
- Riddle, Billie Jean. "Creeks, Branches, Forks, Licks, Runs, Sloughs and Hollows in Kentucky." The Register of the Kentucky Historical Society. 49: 280–330. (Family History Library film 896519) This alphabetical list of water courses contains the names of the counties where they are located.
For river landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. (includes Tennessee) New Orleans : W.L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
For more information about place-finding aids for Kentucky, see the "Maps" section.
Family History Library Collection
Other gazetteers and place name resources can be located in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
KENTUCKY- NAMES, GEOGRAPHICAL
KENTUCKY- HISTORY- PERIODICALS
KENTUCKY- HISTORICAL GEOGRAPHY