Kilnsea, Yorkshire Genealogy
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813.
Church of England records began in 1711.
KILNSEA (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 8½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Patrington; containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, sometimes called Kilnsea with Spurn, comprehends the narrow neck of land at the south-eastern extremity of the county, terminating in the promontory of Spurn Head.
|Parishes adjacent to KILNSEA|
|Humber Estuary|| Easington
|Humber Estuary||Humber Estuary||North Sea|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JMI = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|AO = Archive.org|
|KILNSEA PARISH (1731) Indexes|
|JMI||None|| 1731 - 1811
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464221.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 672-674.