King William Parish, Virginia
King William Parish served the French Protestant Huguenot immigrants and their settlement at Manakintown. Manakin Episcopal Church, near Huguenot Springs, is the parish church.
The Powhatan County Historical Society has published an online listing of tombstones and burials at Manakin Episcopal Church.
Surveys of graves at Manakin Episcopal Church (pages 1-44) and Manakin Huguenot Church (page 46), published in 1996, which include tombstone photographs, are available in book form: FHL Book 975.5612 V3n v. 1.
Cameron Allen, FASG, is a leading expert on early French Huguenot families in this parish. He has published many of his findings on the French origins of Huguenot immigrants in scholarly genealogical journals and books.
- Bugg, James L. "The French Huguenot Frontier Settlement of Manakin Town," Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 61, No. 4 (Oct. 1953):359-392. Digital version at The Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia website.
A list of many of the Huguenot refugees who came to Virginia is available on the National Humanities Center website.
Here is another list.
The vestry books have been abstracted multiple times:
- Fife, R.H. "The Vestry Book of King William Parish, Va., 1707-1750," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jan. 1904):289-304; Vol. 11, No. 4 (Apr. 1904):425-440; Vol. 12, No. 1 (Jul. 1904):17-32; Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jan. 1905):241-256; Vol. 12, No. 4 (Apr. 1905):369-384; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jul. 1905):65-80; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Oct. 1905):175-190; Vol. 13, No. 3 (Jan. 1906):265-280. Available at FHL; digitized by JSTOR - free.
- Fife, R.H. Vestry Book of King William Parish, Virginia, 1707-1750. Midlothian, Va.: Manakin Episcopal Church, 1966.
- Goree, Langston James, Janice Curtis Pampell et al. Master Index to the Huguenot: The Biennial Publications of the Huguenot Society, Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia, and, Index to Vestry Book of King William Parish, Virginia, 1707-1750. Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986. Available at FHL.
The 1735 tithe list is available online:
- Le Suer, David. "Tithables in King William Parish, Goochland County," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jul. 1899):31-32. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR - free.
- Manakin Episcopal Church (official site)
- Langston James Goree et al, Master Index to the Huguenot (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986), Intro. FHL Book 975.5 B2hm index
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Catherine Lynn Nowery and Sharon Lee Nowery, Tombstone Inscriptions of Powhatan County, Virginia (Rock Hill, S.C.: the authors, 1996), Vol. 1.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.