Kiowa County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Kiowa County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Kiowa County, Oklahoma|
| Map of Oklahoma highlighting Kiowa County|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Address|| Kiowa County Courthouse|
16 S. Main Street
P.O. Box 73
Hobart, Oklahoma 73651
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Kiowa County Courthouse
316 S Main; PO Box 73
Hobart, OK 73651
Clerk Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1905;
County Clerk has burial, land and military records from 1905
1901--Kiowa County was created in 1901 from Kiowa-Comanche-Apache and Caddo-Wichita lands.
County seat: Hobart 
For tips on accessing Kiowa County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Lawton newspapers that may have included Kiowa County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Probate records may be available by contacting the County Clerk's office.
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
See the article Oklahoma Vital Records for information about birth and death records. These records are kept at the State level.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kiowa County, Oklahoma. Page 560 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).