Knox County, Kentucky Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county courthouse in Knox County is located at
401 Court Square
Barbourville, Ky. 40906
|Asbury||Erose||Middleton Station (hist.)||Swan Lake|
|Barbourville||Flat Lick||Mockingbird Branch||Swanpond|
|Bimble||Girdler||Old Flat Lick||Trosper|
|Brush Creek (hist.)||Hammond||Providence||Warren|
|Corbin||Henry Woodson Station (hist.)||Samuel Slaughter Station (hist.)||Wilton|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Knox County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Knox Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Knox Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Marion County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Knox County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
-  Stephens, Mrs. Bruce. "Knox County, Kentucky Tax List, 1800," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Spring 1985):56-57. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 4 (1985).
Societies and Libraries
Knox County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 528 Barbourville, KY 40906
Records for the Knox County Historical Society are located at the Knox County Library, 206 Knox Street, Barbourville, KY, 40906 Phone: (606) 546-5339
Other records are available at the Weeks-Townsend Library, Union College, 310 College Street, Barbourville, KY, 40906. Phone: (606) 546-1240
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bedford County, Tennessee Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- "Henry Knox," Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).