Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Lafayette Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lafayette Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 17, 1852|
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1823--Lafayette Parish was created 17 January 1823 from St. Martin and Attakapas, Discontinued 17 Apr 1811, Parishes.
Parish seat: Lafayette 
See an interactive map of Lafayette Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
- St. John's Cemetery, Lafayette BillionGraves
|Lafayette Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Local histories are available for Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Lafayette Parish.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project *Family History Library Catalog
- Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., LaFayette Parish, Louisiana p 291 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content
- United States Census Bureau. "Lafayette Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22055.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State (accessed 8 August, 2012)