Lake County, Colorado Genealogy
|Lake County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|Address|| Lake County Courthouse|
505 Harrison Ave
Leadville, CO 80461-0917
Lake County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Formerly Carbonate Co. Name changed to Lake 10 Feb 1879
County Clerk has marriage records from 1869, land records
from 1861 and some burial records 1885-1903 Clerk District
Court has divorce, probate and court records
1861--Lake County was created 1 November 1861 as an original county. When it was divided in 1879, the part which is Lake County today was known as Carbonate County for a brief period. Chaffee County was known as Lake County during this same time period before its name became Chaffee. County seat: Leadville 
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Lake County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Colorado State Archives has put an index to the School Census for District No. 6 for the years 1880-1903 on-line.
- Colorado Vital Records Search
- Lake County, Colorado Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Leadville and surrounding area.
Societies and Libraries
Lake County Public Library
1115 Harrison Ave
Leadville, CO 80461
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lake County, Colorado. Page 99 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).