Difference between revisions of "Lake County, Indiana Genealogy"
(Added Family History Center link)
(added ending sentence)
|Line 55:||Line 55:|
==== Court Records ====
==== Court Records ====
Revision as of 20:10, 22 July 2013
Guide to Lake County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lake County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 28, 1836|
|County Seat||Crown Point|
|Address|| Adams County Courthouse|
602 Adams Avenue
Hettinger, ND 58739
Adams County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate Records
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 School Records
- 2.25 Taxation
- 2.26 Vital Records
- 2.27 Voter Registration
- 3 References
Hammond, Whiting, East Chicago, Munster, Indiana Harbor, Griffith, Highland, Gary, Crown Point, Lake Station, Dyer, Cedar Lake, Lowell, Merrillville, Schererville, New Chicago, Schneider, St. John, Winfield
- Cemeteries for Lake County Likpendium
For tips on accessing Lake County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Lake County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Register of Farms in Lake County, Indiana (1914-1966) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Residents of Gary, Lake County, Indiana (1909) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- South Shore
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Every Name Index to Encyclopedia of Genealogy and Biography of Lake County, Indiana Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2007; original text by Rev. T. H. Ball, editor-in-chief, 1904; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1974. EveryNameIndex.com
- History of Lake County Linkpendium
- Howat, William Frederick, and A. G. Lundquist. A Standard History of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet Region. Agawan, (MA: Bridgeport National Bindery, 2008.) Vol. 1 FHL US/CAN Film 982474 Item 2 Vol. 2 FHL US/CAN Film 1597811 Item 7 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Ball, T. H. (Timothy Horton), 1826-1913. Lake County, Indiana, from 1834 to 1872. 2007. FHL US/CAN Film 934910 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, and Charles Blanchard. Counties of Porter and Lake, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1882.) FHL US/CAN Film 934917 Item 1 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military Records and Histories Linkpendium
- Our Civil War Dead - genwebsite
- INDIANA CIVIL WAR MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS - genwebsite
Civil War service men from Lake County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lake County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company I
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company G
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorgainized Company E, and H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company G
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry Company K
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B, and Reorganized Company K
- 24th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 73rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 151st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
Civil War Books
- "Our War Record and Progress 1860-1869" Chapter 6 in Ball, T. H. (Timothy Horton), 1826-1913. Lake County, Indiana, from 1834 to 1872. 2007., (page 110-136; Regiment, Companies; Roll of Honor, page 123 - 125) FHL US/CAN Film 934910 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Naturalization and Citizenship
2293 N Main Street
Crown Point, IN 46307
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate
and court records from 1837.
County Recorder has land Records. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Lake County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
- Graduates of Hammond High School (1926) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Students and Teachers of Washington High School, East Chicago ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- Qualified Electors in Lake County, Indiana (1890-1892) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lake County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- EveryNameIndex.com Free online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lake County, Indiana 214 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.