Lamar County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 This page adopted by Betsy Mills, Lamar County, TXGenWeb County Coordinator
- 2 County Courthouse
- 4 History
- 5 Places / Localities
- 6 Resources
- 7 Societies and Libraries
- 8 Web Sites
- 9 References
This page adopted by Betsy Mills, Lamar County, TXGenWeb County Coordinator
The area of present Lamar County was within the boundaries of Red River County at the time of the Republic of Texas. By 1840, population growth necessitated a new county, and legislation was introduced by representatives from Red River County. Wright, who had served in the Third Congress as a representative from Red River County, was a major promoter of the founding of Lamar County, which was established by act of the Fifth Congress of the republic on December 17, 1840, and organized by election on February 1, 1841. At the time, the county included much of what is now Delta County. In 1870, Delta County was formed, and Lamar County was reduced to its present size.
See an interactive map of Lamar County border changes.
1916--Most records of the district clerk were destroyed in a courthouse fire in March 1916. Birth, death and marriage records were not lost.
Places / Localities
- Lamar County, TX Death and Cemetery Records - huge database for every known cemetery in Lamar County with lots of extra information.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- The Paris News
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has San Antonio newspapers from the late 1800's that covered local news on Lamar County residents.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Lamar County Genealogical Society
- Lamar County Genealogical Society Library
1125 Bonham St.
Paris, TX 75460
in the old Santa Fe Depot
- Lamar County, TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).