Las Vegas Nevada FSL/Training
Tips for Using FamilySearch.org/search
This is a collection of HISTORICAL Records that spans billions of names across hundreds of collections—including birth, marriage, death, probate, land, military, IGI extracted, and more. This online database stores all the historical documents and is available for searching. You can instantly search through hundreds of millions of records for information about your ancestors at FamilySearch.org/search
■FamilySearch.org/search protects privacy. No information about living people is publicly available.
■For women, use maiden names to find birth and marriage records, but married names for
census and death information.
■Add five years to life spans
■Try different spellings of a name (Miller, Milr).
■Try different forms of a name (Elizabeth, Liz, Liza).
■Immigrants often changed their names.
■If you can’t find information about a person, look for information about family members.
Getting Started training videos are found atFamilySearch Videos Watch the Getting Started 1, then find 2, 3, & 4 listed at right.
We have hands on training classes at the center. Check the Classes and Handouts page at: "https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Las_Vegas_Nevada_FHC/Class_Schedule"
Login into the site to access the training videos and PDFs.
Ancestry.com Learning How to Get the Most Out of Searches
Basics of starting a search http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuk_wddJ6OM
Ancestry Desktop Education Series http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F65E97B57EF8279&feature=digest_mon
Best ways to search Ancestry http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1060#res2
Tour using Fold3 with 4 videos and written instructions http://www.fold3.com/tour/
Under the advanced search: http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/search.aspx you can search by birth/marriage/death,census & voter lists, court/probate recrods, Collection Title, Recently added collections, by place and more.
Family History Consultant Training
Downloads for Consultant Training. Many of the PDFs include active links taking you to the website when viewing on the computer:
- 00Read First
- 01Family History Consultant Responsibilities
- 02Family History Consultant Training
- 03Actively Find Members and Ways to Help Them
- Family History Progress Record
- Family History Ward Survey
- Genealogy Programs and Family Tree
- Policies for Submitting Names for Temple Work
Indexing Help Resources
- Basic Indexing Guidelines: https://help.familysearch.org/publishing/347/102817_f.SAL_Public.html
- Quick start Video: Click Here
- How to Dounload and Install Program: http://broadcast.lds.org/eLearning/fhd/Product/en/FamilySearch_Indexing/DownloadIndexing/player.html
- Index Resource Guide https://indexing.familysearch.org/public/publications.jsf
- FAQs: https://indexing.familysearch.org/support/faq.jsf
- FamilySearch Wiki (content availability may vary): https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page
- List of current Indexing projects: https://indexing.familysearch.org/projtab/current_projects.jsf
Training videos found at: http://rootsmagic.com/Webinars/
Mini Videos on Youtube: RootsMagicTV.com