Difference between revisions of "Laxfield, Suffolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Parish History: added link to suffolk duscusion page)
(restored Hoxne hundred link)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk]] &nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk Parishes]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;Laxfield __NOTOC__ <!-- The tag __TOC__ allows one to move the contents box anywhere on the page. The Tag __NOTOC__ removes the contents box from the page-->  
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk]] &nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;[[Hoxne Hundred, Suffolk|Hoxne Hundred]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk Parishes]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;Laxfield __NOTOC__ <!-- The tag __TOC__ allows one to move the contents box anywhere on the page. The Tag __NOTOC__ removes the contents box from the page-->  
== Parish History  ==
== Parish History  ==

Revision as of 19:24, 28 January 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk   Gotoarrow.png Hoxne Hundred Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk Parishes Gotoarrow.png Laxfield

Parish History

"LAXFIELD, a large and pleasant village, near the source of the river Blythe, 6 miles N. by E. of Framlingham, and 4 miles E.8.E. of Stradbroke, has in its picturesque parish 1172 souls, and 3650 acres of land, including many scattered farm houses, and the hamlet of Banyards Green. (View Pictures of Laxfield and Parish Church) It is in three manors, one of which, with the rectory and advowson, was granted by Robert Mallet to Eye Priory, and was granted, in the 28th of Henry VIII., to Edmund Bedingfield. Another manor was granted, as part of the possessions of Leiston Abbey, to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, in the same year. John Wingfield, in Edward IV.'s reign, obtained a grant for a weekly market here, which was formerly much resorted to, and still the neighbouring farmers meet a number of buyers at the Royal Oak Inn, every Monday, for the purpose of selling corn by sample. Two large cattle and sheep fairs are held here annually, on May 12th and Oct. 25th. Lord Huntingfield is now lord of the manors of Laxtield and Laxfield Rectory, which comprise all the parish, except the small manor of Stadhnuyh, which belongs to Smith's Charity, as afterwards noticed. A great part of the parish is copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines; and among the other principal proprietors are, the Earl of Gosford, Sir E. Kerrison...."[1]


If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers.   Refer to Laxfield and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalog for available records.

Civil Registration

Laxfield was in Hoxne district till 1907 at which time it was moved into Hartismere District. In 1907 Hoxne district was abolished. To search an index of Hoxne or Hartismere district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.  While the district had been created in 1837 for the purpose of recording births, deaths , and marriages, the Hundred had been in existence for hundreds of years for administrative, military, and judicial purposes.

Church records

The Parish Registers begin in 1579.  They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office.  A copy of the registers from 1579 to 1900 can be purchased from the  Suffolk Record Office.  For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Laxfield.   See Suffolk Church Record for further details.

Census records

There are census records available for Laxfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Laxfield census film numbers in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.

Probate records

Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Laxfield was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.  Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites


  1. William White, 1844, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk; page 463 - 465]
  2. Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) Laxfield